Friday 23 May 2008

Frugal Friday - Frugal Baby Steps


Since I am a consultant and sometimes go months without working, I have had to become frugal in many areas, but there are still many other areas that I could work on being more frugal.

Some of the frugal things I currently do:

  • Always wash clothes in cold water
  • Use cloth napkins
  • Make sure lights are turned off when not needed
  • Keep the heat/AC down
  • Buy on sale as much as possible
  • Buy most of my fabric for sewing from thrift stores
  • Only run the dishwasher/washing machine when full
  • Write posts for PayPerPost to make money for eBay fabric purchases

Things I need to start doing:

  • Menu planning and cooking ahead more to avoid ordering in
  • Stop buying my morning coffee and bagel - I can easily make them at work
  • Use less meat in recipes and have meatless meals more often ( I am ok with this - I have to convince DH :))
  • Bake more to avoid buying snacks for DS
  • Do freezer/pantry inventories more often to use up what we have
I have to take baby steps and work on slowly incorporating these habits into my life. Ever little step helps right! :)

For more fantastic frugal tips, stop by Biblical Womanhood.

2 comments:

April said...

I have yet to convince my dh to eat less meat. What i do, I find a pack of small steaks on sale and then freeze them individually. Then, if me and the kids want to forego meat with our meal, I pull one out of the freezer and cook it for him. 1 steak versus 4 steaks at a time.

the menu planning helps alot!

mommanator said...

I am always looking for ideas. One we did here at #2 daughters was to hang all the clothes for the past 2 days outside. It also gets you exercise, you turn clothes right side out when hanging, and fold as you take em down. seems easier somehow!

Grungy Gretchen Flip-Thru

This is a flip-through of a recently completed journal of mine. I call it GG (grungy Gretchen), it is so far from my usual style but I enjoy...