Saturday 24 May 2008

Drink your veggies

A while ago I read someone's blog (sorry I don't remember who) where they talked about Green smoothies.

Basically, it is blending up vegetables and fruits to make a smoothie and in turn, consume more of both. The idea is to include veggies like kale and spinach which are high in nutrients and that you may not eat regularly.

I had made fruit smoothies before and I have also juiced both fruits and vegetable, before so I decided to give it a try.

I put about a cup of baby spinach leaves, a banana, 1/2 cup frozen
raspberries, 1/2 cup frozen blueberries and about a cup of water.
Nice and colourful huh?

Starting to blend.
Oh what a lovely...um mud colour

So now to taste - not quite sweet enough so I added another banana,And a scoop of plain yogurt
Now a lighter shade of mud

Yum....ummm thick and chunky

Here is a nice close up of the not-quite-smooth-enough smoothie

The verdict: It tasted fine - mostly like bananas. Next time I think I will add ice to make it colder, blend it longer and also not try to drink it all at once - it really does make a lot.

1 comment:

Kristen's Raw said...

I love green smoothies :) YUM!!!

Grungy Gretchen Flip-Thru

This is a flip-through of a recently completed journal of mine. I call it GG (grungy Gretchen), it is so far from my usual style but I enjoy...