Tuesday 8 April 2008

Kitchen Tip Tuesday - Make your own single servings


This may not be new to many of you, but here goes anyway.

I buy applesauce, yogurt, chips, cookies etc...in large packages and repackage into single servings for my son's lunches.

I could easily buy those cute little containers of applesauce or that yogurt that comes in a tube...but with a little thought and very little effort, I buy the big containers and then dish it out into little Tupperware like containers for a much cheaper price.

I buy big bags of chips and put them into small snack-sized bags. My son even brings home the baggies so I can reuse them for more chips.

Instead of those convenient cheese sticks - I pack my son a one ounce chunk of cheddar.

He seems to like and eat everything - so why waste my money when a little of my time can save so much!

2 comments:

Laura said...

Isn't it nice that spending just a little extra time on something saves lots of money!

Mom2fur said...

I did a post a while back on those individual vegetable servings that cost a million dollars. While I'll still buy them if they are on sale, and I have a coupon, mostly what I do is divide the vegetables into one-cup containers. When I want one, I just add a few drops of water, put the lid back on with a little bit opened to vent it, and cook for about 3 minutes. We really do pay much more for convenience, when the time we save probably amounts to just a few minutes!

Grungy Gretchen Flip-Thru

This is a flip-through of a recently completed journal of mine. I call it GG (grungy Gretchen), it is so far from my usual style but I enjoy...