Thursday 24 July 2008

More baby fish (fry)

Baby fish are called fry.

If you remember from the last time, we saved 5 fry - we think the bigger fish ate the rest, as the mother can often give live birth to 20-40 fry at a time.

Some of the 5 fry we rescued died, we had 3 left when we went camping a couple weeks ago. My husband texted me while away, to say 2 of the 3 fry died, but he had found a new little fry in the tank.

The one last fry left from the first batch, was now large enough to go into the main tank and not be eaten.

So now we had 2 adult female mollies, 1 large female fry and one little fry. You still following?

Well Sunday morning as I was rushing around trying to get breakfast cooked and get ready to go to the baby shower, my son yells that there are more baby fry.

We found 13 this time!

Now the only good thing is that the male mollie died a week or so ago and so cannot impregnate the fish anymore - the bad news is that the female mollies save the sperm to fertilize themselves when they feel like it.

So 2 large fish and 1 med one in main tank.

The one under the birthing tank (where we put the most pregnant looking female fish), is the fry from the first batch we rescued about a couple months ago.

And 13 little fry and the one a week older are in the fry tank.

Can you see them?

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Hi Kim!

I found your blog through "That British Woman" blog. I am always looking for other cat lovers! Check out my comment on "That British Woman" blog about allergies and those feline leukemia shots that all vets love to give to all cats!

We had guppies one time when our children were small. We had to get a birthing tank, too, to save the babies. Man, oh, man, they about took over! They multiply so fast and give birth to sooooo many!! We were overwhelmed witrh it all! LOL

Drop by and visit my blog. I have lots of pictures on my sidebar and lots of posts about cats listed under PETS, if you would care to read them. I have 33 cats! Yes, 33, and all indoors. I am a fanatic about cleanliness, too. About countertops....I just wash mine off with Clorox Clean-up which disinfects them. I have always had cats and never had trouble with them getting up on the countertops, but with 13 sharing my actual living areas with me, these ones do get on the countertops now. Can't beat them, so I justr disinfect my counters before using them. Just a simple solution like that works for me. I love my cats, so I just work around any little probelms they cause me, such as the countertops.

All are spayed/neutered, disease-free, no fleas, no worms, etc. All clean and well behaved. So it's really not as bad as it sounds, as I have them separated....12 ferals in my large laundry room, 8 in my office here, and 13 in my actual living areas. Most of mine are rescues that I trapped to get in off the street and out of the heat. I live in SC, and the temp was 102 a few days ago! That was just the temp, not the heat index!

Drop by and check out my cats on my blog! I'll add your blog to my blogroll list and I will return!

(((((( HUGS ))))))

Gill - That British Woman said...

we used to keep fish, but I was the only one willing to clean out the tank!!!! No more fish now!!

Gill

(by the way its great minds that think alike to my mind, re: your post on my blog!!)

Grungy Gretchen Flip-Thru

This is a flip-through of a recently completed journal of mine. I call it GG (grungy Gretchen), it is so far from my usual style but I enjoy...