Tuesday 22 July 2008

Kitchen Tip Tuesday - Simple Breakfasts



I used to often skip breakfast and just grab a coffee, and then end up famished by lunchtime. And because I was famished, I would just scarf things down and not even prepare a proper lunch either.

Lately, I have been eating breakfast and if I put too much thought into it, it becomes overwhelming, what should I make, what will use the least amount of dishes, what do I have on hand. Ya I know, I think too much sometimes :)

So todays' post is all about simple - throw together breakfasts that aren't junk food.

Eggs - all kinds of eggs - I like scrambled a lot because, again I don't have to try too hard with them. Fancy them up with some sauteed onions and mushrooms. Top with cheese, tomato or add spinach - you can do SO many things with eggs that you can have different eggs everyday.


An easy favorite we always had as kids was to boil eggs, peel while still hot/warm, chop them up and then toss with a bit of butter or margarine and salt & pepper. I ate this almost everyday in the winter time.

Bagels - we usually always have some of these on hand. Cinnamon raisin bagels are great with peanut butter.

An Everything bagel ( poppy seeds, sesame seeds, onion bits) with mayo, lots of fresh slices tomato (even better if it is from your own garden) and salt & pepper.

I LOVE these.

Fresh fruit - any kind you have on hand, with a touch of honey and lemon juice - a great summer breakfast.

So many good choices when you getting thinking about it. Ok now I am hungry :)

For more great kitchen tips, check out Tammy's website.

3 comments:

Kate said...

I love poaching my egg and eatting it with tomato and cheddar cheese. Sometimes I add spinach or mushrooms or fresh basil. Add an english muffin and its all good!

I just wanted to say that I really like your dishes, they are pretty!

mommanator said...

Eggs ya just gotta love em! they are so versetle!(SP?)
I love those everything bagels! yum with all kinds of things with-
My grandson has taken to eating a raisin bagel with butter, cinnamon & sugar like ya put on toast.
The grandkids also lke corn dogs that have sausage in them- they will even make their own in the micro-greatfor when you're in a rush getting them ready to go somewhere

Gill - That British Woman said...

I am a toast or cereal type of girl

Gill

Grungy Gretchen Flip-Thru

This is a flip-through of a recently completed journal of mine. I call it GG (grungy Gretchen), it is so far from my usual style but I enjoy...