Thursday 17 July 2008

Aaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhh!!!!

Ok glad I got that out.

I have a LOT of respect for real quilters. I am not a real quilter. I am self taught and I mostly wing things. You know fudge to fit and paint to match?

Today I watched several Youtube videos to learn how to 1) make binding strips, 2) attach the binding to the quilt, 3) join the ends of the binding and 4) fold it over and finish the opposite side.

One note: I cannot, to save my life, cut (even with a rotary cutter) a straight line, nor can I sew a straight line. That being said, it is EXTREMELY difficult to have the two sides of the binding match up when you go to sew the 2nd side. I started and then ripped out the stitches 4 times before I decided to try hand sewing it. The hand sewing is only going slightly better because it is slow going and my hand keeps cramping up.

I will continue to hand stitch ( I have about 1/8th done) and I will finish this quilt. I don't know if I will tackle any more for a while though. I don't like rules and proper quilting has LOTS of rules (for good reason).

I like piecing the tops together. The actual quilting part (sewing the patterns in) and the binding, not so much.

4 comments:

mommanator said...

have ya tried one of thjose cutting boards with lines on it? I also use a ruler sometimes

Kim said...

Oh yes I have both but still somehow the ruler moves and I end up cutting on an angle :)

Gill - That British Woman said...

If you go over to Prairie Homemaker to the quilting section, Leah has great tutorials on there. I also have the link to Leah's blog (Leah's Garden) on my blog.

Gill

Kim said...

I'll check that out thx Gill

Grungy Gretchen Flip-Thru

This is a flip-through of a recently completed journal of mine. I call it GG (grungy Gretchen), it is so far from my usual style but I enjoy...