Friday 18 January 2008

Frugal Friday - Five Frugal Things


This is my first time participating in Frugal Friday's over at Biblical Womanhood. Pop over for more great tips!

This is my first Frugal Friday tip of the New year I am going to post five frugal things I will start/continue to do this year.

  • Keep heat to 18C during the day in the winter - I have been wearing slippers, sweaters and occasionally a knit hat to stay warm. So far so good. In the summer we will not set the AC lower than 22C (let's hope DH can handle that LOL)
  • Keep track of what we have in the fridge/pantry/freezer and only buy what we really need - I used to throw away far too many things that spoiled. Plan meals around what we do have.
  • Cook from scratch most days - have a leftover night to use stuff up. There are times when all we really feel like is a bowl of cereal anyway - why cook if we don't feel like eating.
  • Don't buy any new clothes unless I get down a size - I really don't need anything anyway.
  • Really think about things before I buy them - do I really need this? Can it wait? Can I do without?
Right now my goal is not to save money but to stretch what I currently have as far as possible - I am looking for work but so far, there isn't much in my line of work right now - so I have to pinch pennies until I have an income again.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Good tips!

Anonymous said...

Love your last item the best. This teaches us contentment, patience and gratitude for what we already have.

I am working on the same goal this year. Best wishes on your job search.

Grungy Gretchen Flip-Thru

This is a flip-through of a recently completed journal of mine. I call it GG (grungy Gretchen), it is so far from my usual style but I enjoy...