Wednesday 10 March 2010

Works For me Wednesday - Starting Over with Weight Loss pt2

So to continue with last week's WFMW post, I am getting back on track with losing weight.

I have decided to go with The South Beach Diet. It is kind of like the Atkin's Diet, only healthy :)
No copious amounts of fat and red meat. I know many people have been successful with Atkin's but that doesn't make it healthy. The amount of people who also acquired health issues while doing Atkin's cannot be ingored.

Anyhow...off the soapbox.

South Beach Diet Phase 1. (Basics - if you want specifics, get the book)
  • No starches (bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, cereal)
  • No sugar (I usually add sugar to my coffee, so will be using Stevia in powder form instead, not crazy about it but...)
  • No fruit or fruit juices
  • Nothing high in fat (no full fat cheese, no skin on chicken, no bacon etc...)
So what WILL I eat?

One of the key things to achieve is to really UP your veggie intake. Eat as many as possible.

This is my plan.

Breakfast
  • 1 egg, 2 egg whites, scrambled with green onion & mushrooms in PAM-like spray
  • Sliced tomato
  • Ham bacon, or lean Canadian bacon - 2 pcs
  • Coffee, 1% milk & stevia
Lunch
  • Mixed greens - 3 cups
  • grape tomatoes
  • 1/2 tin tuna in water, drained
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp red wine vinegar
  • 1/4 avocado diced
Snack
  • 2 ribs celery
  • 1 wedge Laughing Cow Cheese
Dinner
  • Grilled chicken breast
  • 2 cups Roasted veggies - mushrooms, cauliflower, broccoli, onions, zucchini, garlic

I can probably add stuff to this if I needed to, but I eat far too often right now, one of my bad habits, and I have to get over that. Being home is a challenge too, I can constantly be noshing.

Of course, I will need to drink my kazillion gallons of water as well. I do ok now, with probably a liter or a liter and a half per day, but I need to drink more.

Hopping on the treadmill or taking Peanut out for a walk won't kill me either.

I'll keep you posted as to how it goes. Anyone want to do it with me?

For more great ideas, pop over to Shannon's place (this week only then back to Kristen's place)

P.S. If anyone has any great dieting tips or inspiration, I would LOVE to hear them!

5 comments:

Jenny said...

You are so right about the Atkins program. My dad's heart doctor recommended the South Beach diet to him.

I'm so excited for you!

Yesterday I bought some Target brand Slim Fasts to eat for breakfast. I figured they were healthier than some of the other things I eat and they only have 170 calories. I was surprised today to find that I actually liked it and it kept me full longer.

Vickie LeBlanc said...

That menu you have there sounds delicious. I love veggies - raw, baked or roasted. Walking Peanut now that the weather is improving (at least here in NS it is) will do you good. Every little bit helps.

Margaret said...

I lost some weight since opening up my diner. I had no plans for the weight loss but there it went. I thought for sure I would gain weight with fries, bacon and sausages at my fingertips but I didn't. The smell of the grease puts me off, especially when I see what comes out of the grease trap every day when my husband cleans the grill, yuk. And I think the biggest thing was just getting up and moving. Up until I opened the diner I worked from home and led a somewhat sedentary life. I'm not sure how much weight I lost but the I'm now on the fourth belt notch. I used to not wear a belt at all because my pants fit fine, then I started with the first notch and so it went. So my advice, get moving, and believe me, the sight of all that liquid fat is gross...but I still eat my cheese, I can't live without it. Oh and one more thing, make sure you have healthy snacks within easy reach. I found that at the diner I was missing my fruit and veggies but I always have apples, oranges, and other fruit around, and all sorts of raw veggies. I know you can't have the fruit but having raw veggies will really help and with a low fat yogurt dip they really will hit the spot.
Good luck! Margaret

Gill - That British Woman said...

no advise just wanted to wish you lots of luck. I am hoping that when gardening season starts that when I will lose some weight........we'll see!!

Gill

C.G. Koens said...

My husband and I have been on the South Beach Diet for 5 weeks and he has lost 20 lbs. and I've lost around 10 lbs. It's really not about giving things up so much as it is about practicing self-control/self-discipline. It's not always easy, but it is possible. Also, check out Turkey Bacon - WAY LESS fat and greese and it tastes GREAT! It's also cheaper than the regular bacon I was buying before. Same goes for turkey pepperoni - tastes the same but 75% less fat. We feel so much better now (my husband still wants to lose around 50 lbs. - so we'll be doing this for a while), and when you see the scale going down, walking every other day and cutting out bread and sweets isn't as much of a chore as I thought it would be. Good luck and hang in there!

Grungy Gretchen Flip-Thru

This is a flip-through of a recently completed journal of mine. I call it GG (grungy Gretchen), it is so far from my usual style but I enjoy...