Thursday 11 March 2010

Frugal Fridays - Frugal Arts & Crafts


You may have noticed I have really gotten into making artist trading cards recently. I find it very relaxing and since they are so small, I can whip up a few in very little time.

As with most art or crafting, supplies can get pricey. Fortunately, I already had many art supplies.

ATCs (artist trading cards) are 2.5 x 3.5 inches in size. They also have to be sturdy, so plain paper won't cut it. You can purchase ATC blanks, pre-cut cardboard at artist and craft stores.

However, I have found a cheaper option... food boxes. Cereal, crackers, pop boxes etc... It takes a bit of time and effort to measure them out and cut them up, but not that much.

As I have played around with the ATCs I have also found other household supplies or garbage that I can use in my art, such as:
  • plastic wrap,
  • any cardboard box
  • tin foil,
  • the scrap tissue paper from sewing patterns,
  • images and patterns from magazines,
  • tags from clothing,
  • plastic from packaging,
  • candy wrappers
  • paper towel,
  • patterned paper napkins,
  • newsprint
  • pages from old books
the list is endless.

I now really look at things before I throw them away, always wondering if I can make something out of it.

I am only doing this for myself, but I imagine this would be great for people with little ones that make several masterpieces every day - no more running out of paper!

Here are some artwork I have uses recycled items on.

This one uses a wrapper from a Quality
Street chocolate from Christmas time.

This one uses plastic wrap

The words on this one were printed
on scraps from a sewing pattern

This is a page from an old book with a coffee stain

This collage uses many recycled items, a bit of twine,
a clothing tag ripped up, sewing pattern paper,
old music sheets, brown paper bag and old books

And I made it all on a piece of a coke case
This is the beginning of an ATC made
using a paper napkin and ink stamps

For even more great frugal tips, head over to Life As Mom!

3 comments:

Christy said...

What a great idea! Looking through your examples, I can think of several things that I normally just throw away that could be used for crafts! Thanks for the tip.

annies home said...

love this using recycled materials to make crafts is a great idea

Gill - That British Woman said...

those are super ideas, but I will not be making them, I have so much on my plate at the moment, with the sewing!!

I will get back to you regarding No Frills and Loblaws, as I am not the organizer of this. As far as I know its Zehrs only, but I could be wrong.

Gill

Grungy Gretchen Flip-Thru

This is a flip-through of a recently completed journal of mine. I call it GG (grungy Gretchen), it is so far from my usual style but I enjoy...