Friday 15 January 2010

Frugal Fridays - Easy Cheap Thermos Lunch


At my son's school they have a program called Lunch Lady - it is not run by the school, it is a private company. They provide hot lunches to students for about $3.75 per meal. They offer a menu of about 10 items and deliver 3 days per week.

We ordered this program one day per week last year and usually all my son would order was pancakes or Mac & cheese.

This year I decided it was too much to pay for the small portion he was given.

My son could eat mac & cheese every day of a year and not get sick of it and he isn't picky with the kind either, he likes Kraft dinner equally as well as homemade with real cheese.

So I decided every other week, to make a box of KD (bought on sale for 50 cents a box) with a couple hot dogs cut up and thrown in. This will make 4 servings for him, he doesn't mind eating it 4 days in a row. His thermos isn't huge and it is enough for him with his other snacks.

When heating it up in the morning I also throw in some real grated cheese for extra gooyness.

He gets a hot lunch, he loves it and it doesn't cost me $3.75 per day.

For more great frugal ideas, go Life As Mom.

3 comments:

Sarah @ Mum In Bloom said...

We do this too and the extra cheeze makes it extra special, eh? We also do Waste Free Lunches which we started this year. Idea being that your child doesn't throw away any garbage with their lunch www.wastefreelunch.org. Saw your link at Life As Mom - great site you have here!

Lenetta said...

My mom sent lots of different things in my thermos for lunch - I remember loving the spaghetti-os, of course!

Leslie said...

I don't know why I've never thought of using a thermos for hot food. What a great idea! I know my son especially is already so tired of sandwiches and he's only in 5th grade. We usually have lots of variety besides the sandwich but day in and out, it's one type of sandwich or the other.

p.s. how long can the thermos keep food warm for? Does it zap the taste of certain foods? Thanks!

Grungy Gretchen Flip-Thru

This is a flip-through of a recently completed journal of mine. I call it GG (grungy Gretchen), it is so far from my usual style but I enjoy...