Tuesday 5 January 2010

I am addicted to Popcorn!

I love popcorn - I eat it almost every day. I am a salty snack lover and I figure popcorn is slightly better than chips :)

Usually it is microwave popcorn (often the light variety that I then add butter to Shhhhhh!) But recently I read about how much crap is in microwave popcorn and I really don't need any more crap!

We had a hot air popper when I was a kid and it was great - but the one I bought last year makes the popcorn Styrofoamy (Ya huh!... that is TOO a word :P)

So then I saw this thing called a Whirly Pop - (google it) but you can only get it online and I hate shopping online.

So...Hubby got me this popper for Christmas (only mine is black instead of red).


I was kinda bored today so I have created a pictorial tutorial on my popper :)














Only 2 teaspoons of canola oil.
See the kernel stirrer thingy? (that's the tech writer in me :))













1/3 cup of popcorn kernels
















Together













Turn it on. (oh ya...plug it in first :))












Mean while, put about 2 teaspoons of butter into a microwavable dish.














The machine starts to heat and stir the kernels. It is very quiet too.








And then they start to pop















And pop




















And pop











Until it stops popping - then you have to quickly turn it off, grab the heating plate and bowl together and flip it over.




Ta da!














Remember the butter? Nuke it for like 20 seconds to melt it.















Then drizzle it all over the popcorn - not just in one place duh!











Then you can use plain ole regular salt but I like using seasoning salt - this brand is only available in Canada - it is less sweet than Lawry's.













Sprinkle it on (do you have any idea how hard it is to take a picture with your left hand while trying to lightly sprinkle seasoning salt? No? I didn't either)








And finally the finished product to munch on enjoy :)







Maybe tomorrow, I'll show you how to make toast!

3 comments:

shyvonne said...

My husband loves popcorn too, and the air pop is really blah. It looks like you had a great holiday and I love Peanut's pics.

Mom's Cafe Home Cooking said...

Hi Kim :) We really enjoy popcorn and I loved my Whirley Popper but when it broke I was pleased to find this electric version. Mine is red and do you know Sam's Club was charging $13 more for the black? This popper does make really good popcorn though!

Anonymous said...

This is so cute!

Grungy Gretchen Flip-Thru

This is a flip-through of a recently completed journal of mine. I call it GG (grungy Gretchen), it is so far from my usual style but I enjoy...