Friday 6 February 2009

Will I survive?

My mother in-law is visiting for about 5 days.

She arrived yesterday at about 2pm. It hasn't even been 24 hours yet and she is driving me nuts.

She has no concept of keeping things to herself - if she thinks it, she says it.

So usually the first thing out of her mouth when she sees me is "you look fatter".

Ya just lovely to see you too!

So far she has told me I should change where things are in my kitchen cabinets.

My TV shouldn't be in front of the window, I should put the couch there instead.

Why do I watch TV all day (I don't, I am rarely even downstairs, but was because she was here and I was keeping her company while SHE watched TV!)

Why am I letting my completely capable almost 12yr old prepare his own bowl of cereal, I should be doing it for him.

Why am I spoiling my lap dog by letting it sleep on my lap?

She looked at the laptop bag I am making for my sister and told me how I should have done things....ummm I followed the pattern.

She goes into my pantry and turns all the canned goods so that the labels face out.

She makes this annoying "tsk" sound whenever she disapproves of anything.

Argh! Nuts I tell you!

To top it all off, DH had a work dinner event last night, so wasn't home till 11pm and has to work on Saturday to help with inventory, a once a year thing where they pull people from the offices to help - on the one weekend his mother is here.

Pray I don't lose my mind (or kill her) will ya?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Big hugs!! Sorry about that - I think some Mom's will never approve of their husband's wife because in their minds their son is too good!

Hang in there!!

Anonymous said...

Chances are good you will survive. The question is will your poor husband survive? He is the middle guy, after all. Hard role in this.
~Mary

Vickie LeBlanc said...

Kim, in your misery, you make me laugh. That being said, my thoughts and prayers are with you. You'll need a vacation after she's gone...

Melody said...

Think happy thoughts. That may be a vision of her leaving, but whatever allows you to leave the moment instead of wrapping your hands around her neck and squeezing.

Oh and wine, that always helps.

Grungy Gretchen Flip-Thru

This is a flip-through of a recently completed journal of mine. I call it GG (grungy Gretchen), it is so far from my usual style but I enjoy...