Friday 13 February 2009

Frugal Friday - Making Do With What we Have On Hand

I have been out of work for awhile now as many of you know. I am beginning to feel the pinch.

I have done a freezer and pantry inventory and know what I have on hand and plan to make up a meal plan to use up what we have, which is really a fair amount.

I have noticed though, when I get the weekly grocery flyers, there are many sale items I want to go out and grab. And I have also noticed, if I go to Walmart or any store for that matter, I feel like I want to just buy something, not necessarily something expensive, but also not necessarily something I really need.

But no more. I have decided to make do.

Dinner tonight will be made with what I have on hand. I won't get my DH to stop on the way home from work to pick up that one item I need (and he always buys more than that one thing!). If we end up eating odd meals, so be it.

The other day I made some oatmeal chocolate chip cookies for my son's lunches. I don't usually bake, but it really didn't take that long. He loved them! (And since they are all gone, I need to make more...I have the ingredients so why not).

Sometimes we just fall back on the habit of buying stuff for the sake of buying, or getting a good deal when we already have 3 of that item at home waiting to be used.

We grocery shop on the weekends - from now on there will be no mid-week trips to buy something, if I forget to get it on the weekend, we will do without it.

I am attempting to keep the groceries to under $70 each week and only buying what we really need (produce, milk etc...).

I'll let you know how it goes.

For more Frugal Friday inspiration, go to Biblical Womanhood.

3 comments:

The Hall Family said...

That's just like my husband. :)

If I ask him to go to the store to pick up one thing, he usually comes home with several extras! I also know what you mean about feeling the need to grab sale items up....my weakness. Good luck!

Gill - That British Woman said...

I haven't been by for a while, sorry. I didn't realize you weren't working. I find it hard trying to keep my grocery budget under $75 a week, so I don't know how you do it.

Join www.frugalshopper.ca as there are a ton of deals on there, that you can take advantage of.

Gill

Kim said...

Gill - I am going to try to keep it down. We have 2 freezers of food with lots of meat, so hopefully will only be buying produce for the next couple weeks - that is why I aimed low :)

Grungy Gretchen Flip-Thru

This is a flip-through of a recently completed journal of mine. I call it GG (grungy Gretchen), it is so far from my usual style but I enjoy...