Tuesday 11 March 2008

A long long time ago in a galaxy far far away....

ok so not far far away - right here on earth......I used to paint. Yup. Watercolour.

Then I had a kid and life just sorta whizzed right on by. You blink and 10 years have past. Wow.

The last time I painted was 2 summers ago. My sister and I spent 4 days at my brother's cottage - just us and her dog. I took pictures of stuff, mostly flowers and then put them on her laptop and then painted from them - well I started two paintings. Never did finish them. I'm like that - I start lots of stuff - one day I will finish. I started this quilt at least 12 yrs ago but it is done now :)

It is time I got back to painting. I have a LOT of paintings to finish.

Here are some of my paintings. I haven't tried anything other than flowers yet. As you can see I have a lot to finish before I start a new one.

Oh and a photographer, I am not - sorry for the poor quality of some of them.

This one is dated 1989.

No date on this one but I am pretty sure it is from 1985 - I was still living at home with my parents when I did this one. Was from a greeting card.
1989

Inspired by this - a print I got at LewisCraft.
So the one above I painted - this one I did not.I think this one was for a watercolour class I was taking. Dated 1986.

Not sure when I started this one- sometime in the late 80s I would assume.
It is not yet finished.
This is the inspiration -a greeting card - I decided not to include the cat as I figured it would end up looking like a mutant - I am not so good with people or animals :)
This one is only half done - no date.
Again no date and not finished.

The inspiration for the one above - another print from Lewis Craft.
Another no date - could use a bit of work to finish it off.
Another print - inspiration for one above.
Dated 86. I think the inspiration was a magazine photo.
This is one of the two I gave my sister - actually no that isn't true. She has one like this, so does my other sister, and as you can see below, I have painted it 3 more times too.
The original print from LewsiCraft.

Another painting of same image but large than the others.
And finally another, not yet finished.
This is one of the ones I started 2 summers ago.
This is a photo of the same garden but different shot - a painting from this is below.
You may notice, in the 1st painting I didn't notice the holes in the pot - in the 2nd one, I did :)

Needs to be finished too.
I couldn't get a good shot, so I scanned it - even worse I think.

This is a painting I did for my sister in 1987. It was one of two I gave her.

Done about 8 yrs ago - inspiration -garden catalog.

This one did about 8 yrs ago - inspiration - a kleenex box :)

One of my goals is to finish some of these and get them framed and hanging in my house. Two of them were actually painted for my brother about 20 years ago, maybe I'll finally give those to him :)

1 comment:

A Dusty Frame said...

These are beautiful!

If you ever post a "how to watercolor" post please let me know.
I purchased watercolors for my son and I to use in our nature journals, but we can't quite figure them out;)

They're either TOO watery or TOO gloppy;0

**I answered your rice question on my blog:)

Grungy Gretchen Flip-Thru

This is a flip-through of a recently completed journal of mine. I call it GG (grungy Gretchen), it is so far from my usual style but I enjoy...