Friday 29 February 2008

FIF - Non-cream of Broccoli soup or Frog Soup


Ok this is another made-up recipe so bear with me.

I am not all that fond of broccoli but I know good it is for me so I try to eat it.

I wanted to make a cream of broccoli type soup one day but did not have any cream so while searching recipes online I came across one that used potato flakes to thicken the soup instead of cream.

So this is my homemade recipe.

  • One bag of frozen broccoli - it is already precooked so is easier to use but I am sure you can use fresh too.
  • I thaw it a bit - not fully - doesn't really matter.
  • I cut it a bit smaller and place into my food processor where I whiz the heck out of it - you want it fine. I do this in batches as a whole bag doesn't fit in my processor at one time.
  • I also whiz a large onion too.
  • Place the whizzed-up onion and broccoli into a large pot - add 4 cups chicken broth and 2 cups water.
  • I sometimes also add a packet of chicken soup base.
  • I bring to a boil then simmer for about 20 minutes.
  • I taste and add seasoning - salt, pepper, garlic powder (I sometimes add fresh chopped garlic at the beginning instead) - pretty much any spices you like - try it.
  • Simmer a little longer - taste, adjust seasoning if needed.
  • Then I use an immersion hand blender and puree the soup. If you don't have a hand blender you can put batches through your regular blender (small amounts as hot liquids expand!).
  • Once it is smooth and creamy, I stir in about 1/2 cup of potato flakes - stir until smooth.

That's it.

We got my son to eat this when he was little by calling it Frog Soup - but he is older know and won't fall for that anymore.

My husband and I love this soup - I often make big batches and take it for lunches daily - it tastes good and is good for me.

For more great recipes, check out Favorite Ingrediet Fridays over at Overwhelmed With Joy.

4 comments:

Ms. Kathleen said...

I love soups and this sounds good...love broccoli! Thanks! Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Your broccoli soup creation sounds yummy and healthy without the cream or condensed milk that some recipes call for. Thanks!

Unknown said...

My almost 2-year-old just discovered soups and loves them. I think this could be a winner for us. THanks!

Egghead said...

This sounds so good and easy too. I love cream of broccoli soup. My husband and I used to have lunch at a little diner years ago that made some of the best cream of broccoli soup. This might just be similar. Thank you!

Grungy Gretchen Flip-Thru

This is a flip-through of a recently completed journal of mine. I call it GG (grungy Gretchen), it is so far from my usual style but I enjoy...