Friday 22 February 2008

FIF - Side Dishes


Here are a few of my favorite side dishes - I hope you know by now - I really don't use recipes - be adventurous!

Roasted potatoes
-scrub potatoes, cut into chunks, place in oven dish
-toss with olive oil (2 tbsp but depends on how many spuds you have)
-toss in seasoning of your choice - I often use garlic powder, seasoning salt and chili powder - or you can add spice blends - whatever you like, add some)
-bake in a preheated 350 oven - for about an hour - stirring every 20 mins or so - until brown and crispy.

Snow peas and mushrooms
-tip & tail the snow peas (cut off the ends)
-slice the mushrooms
-place about 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp butter in large fry pan
-over medium heat
-add snow peas and mushrooms
-add garlic powder & seasoning salt
-saute about 20 mins until the snow peas are tender crisp
- stir often

Sauted garlic spinach
-wash spinach - I often use baby spinach because it doesn't have the woody stems to cut off
-chop garlic or use bottled chopped garlic - as much as you like but at least a tsp
-olive oil & butter (tsbp each) into fry pan
-over medium heat
-add garlic and spinach
- cook only for a few minutes - until the spinach is whilted
- serve - salt & pepper to your liking

Maple carrots
-I use a small bag of baby carrots but any pealed carrot will work - cut to size you want.
- I steam my carrots in a double-boiler over med-high heat for about 6 minutes - I like them tender crisp - not soft.
- drain water from double-boiler and put steamed carrots in bottom pan
- add about 2-3 tsbp of maple syrup (the real stuff)
- toss to coat and rewarm is needed
- serve

I hope you try and enjoy some of these. For more great recipes, check out Favorite Ingrediet Fridays over at Overwhelmed With Joy.

6 comments:

Renee said...

These all sound so wonderful! THanks for sharing. Have a great weekend.

Renee'
http://rmboys2.wordpress.com/

Betsy said...

Thanks for the recipes!

Ms. Kathleen said...

Oh my gosh...I am getting so hungry! Thanks so much!

Anonymous said...

I love veggies! Thanks for all the recipes.

A Juggling Mum said...

These sound so yummy, thanks for sharing them :)

Rachel xxx
A Juggling Mum

Overwhelmed! said...

Woo hoo! Four fantastic recipes in one post. :)

Thanks for participating in my Favorite Ingredients Friday- Side Dishes edition recipe exchange. I do appreciate it.

Grungy Gretchen Flip-Thru

This is a flip-through of a recently completed journal of mine. I call it GG (grungy Gretchen), it is so far from my usual style but I enjoy...