Wednesday 19 November 2008

Frugality is now fashionable

Have you noticed how mainstream being frugal has become?

Because of the type of work I do, I often go months without working. I have learned to put money aside for those times and also to be frugal and make that money last as long as possible.

I have practiced frugality for a very long time. Now due to the economy, many people are following suit.

Frugal websites are popping up all over the Internet, whereas before, I had to really dig to find some decent ones.

It is now hip to be frugal :) Cool.

Here are some frugal things I now do out of habit:

  • Use half the laundry detergent required - my clothes always come clean.
  • Cut dryer sheets in half - and I buy the store brand which is cheaper.
  • I stock up on sale goods that we use often.
  • I add a bit of water to both my shampoo and my body wash.
  • Lights get turned off when not needed.
  • We keep the temp low in winter and dress warmly (we have a bigger house to heat now too).
  • I wear outer (pants and tops) clothes more than once if not dirty. I'm still working on this concept with my son - if he changes his shirt midday - he tosses it into the laundry.
  • I do my best to use up leftovers or freeze them for later.
  • I always look at prices - my husband has to pay more attention to this - he came home with a (very) small loaf of bakery bread that cost $5 dollars last week!
  • I dilute any cleanser that I can.
  • I buy fabric at thrift stores for my sewing projects.
  • I buy clothes at thrift stores.
  • We have replaced all regular light bulbs with compact florescent ones.
I am sure if I thought about it, I would probably come up with several more.

What are some of things you do (or are planning to start doing) to be frugal or save a few bucks?

2 comments:

Shauna said...

What a great blog you have here :)

someone's sister said...

Car pool, hand me down cloths for the kids, rent out an extra room to a student. share dress cloths with your friend.

Grungy Gretchen Flip-Thru

This is a flip-through of a recently completed journal of mine. I call it GG (grungy Gretchen), it is so far from my usual style but I enjoy...