Saturday 15 November 2008

Random Babbles

I apologize for not posting more often. I think I have blogger block - either that or my life is just really really boring right now.

At my weigh-in on Tuesday evening I was up 2.4 lbs. I'm not sure why, I pretty much did the same as I did the week before. However, once I got home that night I realized I had forgotten to take my blood pressure meds that morning - it contains a diuretic and could account for why I had extra water weight.

I have been doing my best this week and I think I am down 2 of those pounds - only one more pound and it will count as an actual loss for me :)

Out of the blue today, while grocery shopping, the word badminton popped into my head. And then along with it, my annoyance with the way some Americans pronounce it. While on vacation in Bahamas many many moons ago, my sister and I befriended several people from Buffalo. They asked if we wanted to go play batmittin. My sister and I didn't have a clue what they were talking about until the described it to us.

It is pronounced bad min ton.....not bat mittin! Sheesh.

Another often mispronounced word that drives me batty (oh it really really does! I'm weird that way) is centimeter. I have often heard it pronounced (on childbirth TV shows) as sonometer. What the heck is a sonometer?

And it makes me wonder....why do they even use centimeters to describe dilation when they haven't adopted the metric system in the US. I guess it would sound weird to hear that a woman is fully dilated to 3.9370079 inches.

When I first met my husband, he used to pronounce Michigan as Mitchegan. He no longer does that - I fixed it :) There is no T in Michigan.

Ok I'm on a role, yet another thing that bugs me (are you feeling a theme here?) is when someone incorrectly says a common phrase. Such as "You have another thing coming". The actual phrase is "You have another THINK coming"

You usually start the sentence with "If you think.....then you have another think coming". Similar to "Think again"

I am sure if I thought long and hard about it, I could probably come up with more (it really is a weird pet peeve of mine).

So do you have words/phrases you hate to hear butchered...um mispronounced?

2 comments:

Melody said...

A whole list:

That is a great "ideal" [it's idea, idiot]

vica versa [it is vice versa]

irregardless is not a word at all

prostrate is not the little gland men carry around in their trunk - it is a position your body lies in at times like after I kick your ass for mispronouncing words

Kim said...

Ohhh I hate it when someone says Idear instead of Idea.

Or how about iron pronounce I-ron.

Or when someone pronounces the L in salmon.

I once had an English teacher in night school who said a word and no one in the class understood until she wrote it on the board. It was oregano but she said it orry gan o.

Grungy Gretchen Flip-Thru

This is a flip-through of a recently completed journal of mine. I call it GG (grungy Gretchen), it is so far from my usual style but I enjoy...