Friday 11 February 2011

Week in review - getting old sucks

Wow where did the week go?

Back Pain
In the wee hours of the morning on Tuesday, I awoke with slight pain in the region of my left kidney - it wasn't too bad and I was able to go back to sleep. Later that evening, the pain came back with a vengeance. I had once before passed a kidney stone but this pain was different - it was a spasming pain. I took pain killers but they didn't help all that much.

I ended up sleeping sitting up on the couch as that was the only position where I didn't feel pain. It was not a great night's sleep let me tell you. I ended up napping on and off, while sitting most of the morning on Wednesday.

Finally in the afternoon the pain eased off, but now the rest of my back was sore from over compensating to avoid the previous pain - so just sore back muscles. I went to bed Wednesday night but after only a few hours of sleep I ended back sitting up on the couch for the night.

As I write this (Thursday afternoon) my back is feeling much better with only a twinge once in awhile - I hope it stays this way. Getting old sucks!

Even with all that going on, I managed to get on the treadmill 3 times this week so far.

Prepping For High School
J brought home his entrance package to high school next year. We had to decide what classes he was going to take and then fill in all the required forms etc... I also had to write a cheque for $25 for an administration fee.

Then yesterday, he brought home a permission form to go to his new high school one day next week and they would show him how to enter into their computers, all the subjects he had chosen for grade 9. So if he is going to do this himself next week, what am I paying them $25 for?

We also got the info and prices for his uniform - the basics (2 pants, 1 hoodie, 4 shirts) are going to cost approx. $300 and that doesn't include the shoes or socks he needs. With my luck he will go through a growth spurt and need a new uniform before the end of grade 9. I will be buying long pants and hemming but not cutting them, so that I can let them down. As he is pretty skinny, I doubt he will out-grow the waist.

Baby Quilt
My sister came by today and sandwiched the baby quilt for me. So tomorrow I will sew the sides up and then play around on my Husqvarna machine and see if I can master free-motion quilting. If I can, this will be the first quilt I use free-motion on. We shall see.

Have a great weekend everyone!

3 comments:

Laurie said...

I agree -- getting old sucks! Thanks for visiting my blog and entering my OWOH giveaway! Enjoy the rest of the event!

Gill - That British Woman said...

ditto about getting old.....hope things have settled down for you.

When the kids started high school it felt as though I was forever writing cheques!!

Gill

P.S. How did the free motioning go?

Dean W said...

Lovely blogg you have

Grungy Gretchen Flip-Thru

This is a flip-through of a recently completed journal of mine. I call it GG (grungy Gretchen), it is so far from my usual style but I enjoy...