Thursday 3 February 2011

Ultimate Recipe Swap - Making Potstickers



On Sunday I made approx. 120 pork pot stickers. I looked at several recipes online and kind of came up with my own recipe.

Measurements are all estimates - I don't measure
I'm going to guess and say this will make about 60 pot stickers - (I started with about 3lbs of ground pork)

  • 1 lb ground pork
  • 2 green onions finely diced - I whizzed mine up in the mini food processor
  • chopped garlic - I used the jarred stuff about a heaping tablesppon
  • 2t ground ginger
  • 2t soy sauce
  • 2t hoisin sauce
  • 1t sesame oil
  • 1t pepper
  • 1c cole slaw mix - sauteed with sesame oil & chicken stock til wilted (about 4-5 mins)- cooled then chopped
  • premade wonton wrappers


Steps:
  • Mix filling (don't cook) and start making pot stickers.
  • Brush edges of wonton wrappers with water, add small amount of filling and pinch edged to seal.

I used a little empanada press - it helped but wasn't the greatest because I had the square wonton wrappers.

I still have a ton of filling (I made about 3lbs) and a lot of wrappers left, but I ran out of cookie sheets.

I lined the cookie sheets with parchment paper and the wontons and froze them. Once frozen I placed into meal sized bags.

This is actually how much meat I had left AFTER 
making 120+ pot stickers - good thing it is freezable! At least 1lb.
Wet the edges of the wonton wrapper
Add about a tsp of filling
And pinch to seal edges


These can be taken right out of the freezer and cooked - frying/steaming time will need to be adjusted.


Cooking steps:
  • To cook these I add some (2t) canola oil to a skillet with a lid over med heat.
  • Place pot stickers in a single layer not overlapping or touching.
  • Fry several minutes without moving. Once they are seared on the bottom, they should move easily.
  • Add 1/2 of water to the pan and put the lid on.
  • Turn temp up to med-high. Let them steam for about 6 mins.
  • Take one out and cut to ensure it is cooked through.
  • Remove them to a plate.
  • Dip pot stickers into dipping sauce and enjoy!

Of course, I forgot to take pictures of these before we scarfed them all down - I have several dozen in the freezer, so maybe I will remember next time :)


Dipping sauce (serves approx. 2 ppl)
2T white vinegar
2T cold water
1t sesame oil
1t chopped garlic
2t soy sauce

Tweak to suit your own tastes.

For more great Superbowl recipe ideas - hop over to Life As Mom

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Oh I can't wait to make these! thanks for including the dipping sauce recipe too.

Melody said...

whoa, I am impressed

Grungy Gretchen Flip-Thru

This is a flip-through of a recently completed journal of mine. I call it GG (grungy Gretchen), it is so far from my usual style but I enjoy...