Thursday 6 May 2010

Ultimate Recipe Swap - Veggie Week





This week's theme is veggies.

Here are a few of my go-to veggie recipes.

Roasted veggies - I usually make this in the winter or fall but it is great anytime.


Your choice of veggies - I usually use cauliflower, onions, mushrooms, asparagus & zuchinni.
Cut them all up to relatively the same size.
Toss them in either extra virgin olive oil or a favourite oil based salad dressing (e.g., italian)
Sprinkle on some seasonings - I use seasoning salt, pepper, garlic powder & chili (non-hot) powder. I sometimes add curry powder. Even brussel sprouts (shudder!) taste better (you didn't really think I would say they tasted good did you?) this way

Mix to coat all veggies, pour into a roasting pan and pop into a preheated 350 degree oven.
The cook time varies depending on what veggies you used. Mine usually takes about 45 mins.



Grilled asparagus - this is almost in season here. We eat so much of it while in season we actually get sick of it :)



Wash asparagus and snap off woody ends.
Toss with oil based salad dressing ( I use a sweet onion one or a sun-dried tomato one), add salt & pepper.
I usually stick a skewer through the fattest part of the middle and thread about 5 spears per skewer - this makes them much easier to turn on the grill.
Grill until cooked to your liking but not charred.



Simple salad


One of my favourite salads of late has been a simple green salad with red wine vinegar & extra virgin olive oil.
I wash and tear up romaine and red leaf lettuce.
I mix equal parts red wine vinegar and EVOO
I sprinkle all with salt and toss.

If I have any handy, I will also add diced avocado to this. It is simple and delicious.
I'm not an onion fan, but my DH loves his with thinly sliced red onion too.

For more great vegetable recipes, check out The Ultimate Recipe Swap at Life As Mom

1 comment:

Gill - That British Woman said...

like the simple salad idea, sounds yummy, as does the other two recipes.

The link is now working for the house, it is worth a look.

Gill

Grungy Gretchen Flip-Thru

This is a flip-through of a recently completed journal of mine. I call it GG (grungy Gretchen), it is so far from my usual style but I enjoy...