Tuesday 17 March 2009

Kitchen Tip Tuesday - Keep greens fresh longer



We often buy spinach, or mixed greens in those long plastic containers. They are usually a good deal and are really packed full, so you get value for your money.


However, sometimes after a couple days of eating salad, we get sick of it and still have more than half a tub left.

The trick to keep if from going soggy is to place a paper towel inside on top of the greens once you open the container. The paper towel absorbs all the moisture and keep the lettuce from getting soggy. I check the towel every few days and change it if needed, but this way I am able to keep a container like this fresh for at least 3 weeks.

If I forget to do this, the moisture gets the entire tub soggy in just a few days. And if one bunch of leaves is slimy and soggy, I will toss the entire thing.

So save your greens with a paper towel :)

For more great tips, go to Tammy's place.

1 comment:

Ter said...

WOW! What a great idea!! I'm going to try that. Do you keep them in the crisper too? Because I find that the crisper is so small I can hardly fit anything in there, especially once the farmers market opens and all the yummy veggies are available!

I'm going to come back again, I like the tips you've posted so far! :)

Grungy Gretchen Flip-Thru

This is a flip-through of a recently completed journal of mine. I call it GG (grungy Gretchen), it is so far from my usual style but I enjoy...