Tuesday 24 March 2009

Kitchen Tip Tuesday - Actually Using Leftovers


I'll admit, I am usually really bad about using leftovers. I was much better while I was working, I would simply take the leftovers for lunch the next day or so. But sometimes, the leftovers just get lost in the fridge until it is too late.

I will only eat leftovers for 3 days - then they get tossed. If I remember, I will put them in the freezer before the 3 day limit if I know I won't eat them.

While back on the frugal bandwangon with everyone else, I am trying to do my best to save money and not waste food.

On Sundays we have my father in-law to dinner. This Sunday I roasted two small chickens. I made seasoned rice and caesar salad to go with it. I cut the chicken into quarters before cooking. My husband had 2 leg quarters, my son & I each had one leg quarter and my FIL had a breast quarter. That left 3 breast quarters for leftovers.

Monday morning I looked at them in the fridge, trying to decide what to do with them. I decided to make my version of the PioneerWoman's Chicken Spaghetti. I made another caesar salad to go with it. And I have enough leftovers for two lunches - one for today and one for the freezer.

It feels nice to know I actually am doing my best ti use food up instead of tossing it.

What other recipes do you recommend to use up leftover cooked chicken?

For more great tips, go to Tammy's.

4 comments:

mommanator said...

how about chicken salad sandwiches! I make my dau do that with her leftover chicken all the time. I am nuts about the way she throws out food! Sometimes she is so lazy she won't even take out to the dog! I guess I grew up too near the depression!

mommanator said...

O I know some folk dont give dogs leftovers, but this dog eats EVERYTHING, Dogs dont do dog bones too. dont want anyone to think we are doin that

Gill - That British Woman said...

I try not to throw any food out if possible, however there are times when that's not possible.

By the way, I checked into the Post Office and you're right I don't have to pay the $200. What was confusing me, was that I thought you had to pay the $200 if I wanted to make sure I recieved the International mail, which we receive a lot of.

Have to say I am a happy camper to have saved some money some where!!

Gill

Melody said...

I love leftover chicken. There are so many possibilities:

Chicken Pot Pie
Chicken Enchiladas
Chicken Quesadillas
or what we call in our house, Chicken Pasta Toss.

That is cut up cooked chicken tossed with whatever shape pasta we have (cooked) and whatever vegetables are on hand in a skillet and mixed with a little italian dressing, alfredo sauce or even ranch dressing as a sauce.

Grungy Gretchen Flip-Thru

This is a flip-through of a recently completed journal of mine. I call it GG (grungy Gretchen), it is so far from my usual style but I enjoy...