Sunday 17 October 2010

Time to eat from the pantry/freezer again

We have too much food and too little money - which is not as bad as it could be, I suppose.

I need to find a job, but that is proving more difficult this time around.

Like I said, we do have a lot of food in the pantry and the freezer which is great - we just have to work on using it up and not buying anything other than essentials each week.

Just got back from grocery shopping a couple hours ago - didn't do too badly. $88 and change. I am trying to keep it under $100 each week, we can probably even do better than that. Hubby did pick up pork ribs because they were on sale, and we got 2 cases of 12 cans of apple juice for the kid, came to 50 cents for a large can, that usually about a buck each. He should have apple juice for awhile.

Dinner tonight will be leftover Arroz con pollo (for me & DH) and leftover alfredo penne for the kid.

Hubby is going out of town tomorrow and will be back Tuesday evening, so Monday dinner will be just the kid & I. I'll probably doctor up some mini frozen pizzas, I add green olives and a bit more cheese.

We have 2 large packs of lean ground beef in the freezer, as well as several 1 lb packs. I am thinking to make chili, some mini meatloaves, a sheppard's pie and meatballs from these. The ribs DH just bought will probably be next Sunday's dinner when we have his father over.We also have various chicken parts, small pork tenderloin, and other frozen odds & ends.

We definitely have enough food for a couple weeks of meals. I really need to get planning and only buy the bare essentials, bread, milk, eggs, veggies & fruit.

We had Applefest here in Bowmanville this Saturday and I picked up a 4 liter basket of Mutsu apples, these are very firm/crisp and a bit tart. So we have enough apples for a week or so too.

Look for some creative menu planning in the days ahead :)

1 comment:

Gill - That British Woman said...

Did you shop at No Frills? I saw the apple juice on sale.

I am like you I intend on eating out of the house for a while to use up things that need using up.

Thanks for sending the email to that company I really do appreciate that. Also thanks for telling me about your doggie, I am going to call the vet's this morning and will talk to them about cancelling the surgery.

If you leave me a comment with your email on my blog (REMEMBER MY COMMENTS ARE ALL MODERATED FIRST BEFORE BEING PUBLISHED, SO I WON'T PUBLISH IT) we can talk via email if you want.

Gill

Grungy Gretchen Flip-Thru

This is a flip-through of a recently completed journal of mine. I call it GG (grungy Gretchen), it is so far from my usual style but I enjoy...