Wednesday 4 November 2009

Works For Me Wednesday - Holiday Tip

This weeks WFMW theme is Holiday/Entertaining/Celebration Tips.

In Canada we have already had our Thanksgiving, so our next holiday is Christmas.

One thing I have done in the past and regretted is when I have a crowd of people over during the holidays and I end up being stuck in the kitchen making food the entire time.

We tend to do a large assortment of finger type foods for these events since we really don't have the room for a large sit down dinner. And since only so much will fit in the oven at any one time, I tend to be in there awhile.

This year I am going to premake as much as possible before the party. I will aim for more food that doesn't require cooking, such as veggies & dips and crackers & cheese.

As for things like meatballs and chicken wings that keep me occupied in the kitchen while others are chatting, I will instead make these a little before the party and simply keep them warm in the oven or crockpot.

I'm going to enjoy my guests and not feel so rushed!

For more WFMW holiday tips, pop over to We Are That Family.

5 comments:

Hear Mum Roar said...

Having a couple of crockpot meals are really handy for times like this, too:)

Unknown said...

I second that...as you get older and have more practice out of making a mess out of the holidays with years behind you, you realize that the extra stuff is not important. We need to breath, relax, and enjoy such a wonderful holiday! Your advice works for me. Good luck this year with your plan; I hope it all works well.

Stop by and browse a bit; I'm sure you'll like what you see. If you do, then don't forget to click the "Follow" button and just below that you can "Subscribe" to my blog to get informative posts and we can both inspire and share with one another to get our creative juices flowing.

Waitress from Mensa said...

Kim, I think the technical editor in you would appreciate my latest post: http://waitressfrommensa.blogspot.com.

Also, let me know if you like the hunter chicken recipe.

Gill - That British Woman said...

what great ideas Kim, I must remember them. I hate being in the kitchen by myself preparing things when everyone else is having a good time!!

I have posted a link back to your blog on my Monday post.

Gill

Anonymous said...

Crock pots are a godsend at big parties!

Grungy Gretchen Flip-Thru

This is a flip-through of a recently completed journal of mine. I call it GG (grungy Gretchen), it is so far from my usual style but I enjoy...