Wednesday 15 October 2008

There is a breeze in the air...

I know I have been MIA for awhile. All is fine. I just seem to nest when Autumn comes. I like to sit with a good book and a cup of tea and while away the hours.

Not a lot going on right now. I am still looking for work, or to win the lottery :)

Peanut is doing well (I'll post new pictures soon) as is DS and DH.

Monday was Thanksgiving here in Canada. This year I decided to brine my turkey. I grabbed a simple brine recipe off Allrecipes.com and brined my 12lb turkey overnight (approx. 12 hours - an hour per pound). I did add about an ounce of brown sugar and 2 tbsps of chopped garlic.

I then cooked it as usual (butter and seasoning basted) and it turned out really really good! Now I don't even like turkey all that much and I definitely like the white meat better, but is always gets too dry - not this time - juicy but not salty, which I was afraid of. I'll make turkeys this way again. Of course we still have 3 days worth of turkey we have to eat.

I got a dozen or so books from the library last week. So I have been busy reading. Here is my view on a few I have finished.

The Alibi - Sandra Brown: Not bad, not great either.

Brida - Paulo Coelho: Don't bother.

Creation in Death - J.D. Robb: 27th in the In Death series. If you have read the previous, you probably like this author (who is really Nora Roberts). I enjoy them.

Happiness - Will Ferguson: I so wanted to like this one. It was really hard to get into but then started getting good around page 70. Then it kind of climaxed and seems like the writer ran out of steam so just wraps it up without and sense.

The Time Traveller's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger: I REALLY Liked this book. It was recommended by Melody. I would recommend it.

Pandora's Daughter - Iris Johansen: This one looked promising. I haven't read any of her other books. I don't know if I will now. The plot is so loose and full of holes it isn't funny. I didn't finish this one - I didn't want to waste any more of my time.

Strangers In Death - J. D. Robb: Currently reading this. Murder, suspense, sex and humour - what more could you ask for.

I have 5 others. I'll let you know how they go.

5 comments:

Joan J said...

This is the first time I've seen anyone mention one of my all time favorite books -- Happiness by Will Ferguson. I'm so sorry you were disappointed! I just love the premise of the book (what would happen if self-help books REALLY worked) and thought it so unique. But then, I like quirky books much more than those on the best seller list, so it's just me! But glad to see someone else read the book besides me! LOL

Melody said...

I might try that this year. What did you soak it in? Cooler?

Kim said...

I only had a 12 lb turkey so it fit in my large stock pot and we have a garage fridge that we put it in overnight.

Waitress from Mensa said...

When I first moved to Texas, I was surprised by the notice of, not a brine-soaked turkey, but a deep-fried turkey. What kind of a calorie-filled joke was this? But it turns out deep frying makes a moist turkey--and not oily--turkey! Assuming the temperature is correct, the water in the meat is turned to steam, whose pressure keeps the oil from penetrating.

For me, though, the American Thanksgiving dinner has always been more about the side dishes...and the leftovers!

Anonymous said...

thats a great idea about the turkey!!

Grungy Gretchen Flip-Thru

This is a flip-through of a recently completed journal of mine. I call it GG (grungy Gretchen), it is so far from my usual style but I enjoy...