Thursday 29 March 2007

The Secret by Rhonda Byrne – Book Review

Ok so I finished The Secret yesterday on my train ride home.

Well….not quite what I expected. I honestly wish I had been able to get this book from the library (I could have if I wanted to wait 4 months!) because I think I wasted $20.

The basic premise of the book makes sense – but it is neither a secret nor a new idea.

However, they (all the so called experts quoted throughout the book) have over simplified The Secret (which comes down to positive thinking). They point-blank state that you can wish for something just like opening a catalogue and saying “I want that”, and the Universe will grant it to you.

No mention of hard work, planning or saving. Just wish and it is yours. Yup! Guess all this time I just haven’t been wishing hard enough, or I would have won the lottery several times by now.

The book can be motivating, as it does stress being inspired and having joy in your life, if you can weed through all the mumbo-jumbo.

And as a writer myself, I found it wasn’t all that well written either and found myself editing it as I read (and there was plenty to edit!).

If you are determined to read this book, borrow if from the library or from a friend who like me who wasted their money LOL.

I haven't seen the movie and won't unless I can borrow it (this chick learned her lesson!), but from reviews I have read; it is just more of the same but with Da Vinci Code type scenes and effects.

If you are looking for inspiration and motivation, there are several Dr. Wayne Dyer books I would recommend before this one. I nice easy one to read is Being in Balance: 9 Principles for Creating Habits to Match Your Desires by Wayne Dyer.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Grungy Gretchen Flip-Thru

This is a flip-through of a recently completed journal of mine. I call it GG (grungy Gretchen), it is so far from my usual style but I enjoy...